Everyone suffers from bad breath on occasion due to certain circumstances, food choices, and health. However, if bad breath is more than just an occasional issue for you, it is time to reach out to your dentist for some expert ways to improve your breath. Below are easy tips for dealing with bad breath by simply modifying lifestyle choices and daily habits.
- Practice good oral hygiene. As with just about everything in life, you get out what you put in. When it comes to your mouth, how well you take care of your teeth and gums will affect your oral health and how your breath smells. Flossing and brushing every single day are essential to keeping your mouth healthy and your breath smelling fresh.
- Stop all tobacco use. Aside from practicing good oral hygiene, stopping any and all tobacco use is the most important thing you can do for your mouth. Tobacco is well known for causing extensive damage to the body, including causing cancer. The damage that tobacco causes inside the mouth leads to other severe issues. Tobacco also has its own very strong odor that lingers in the mouth for a long time. The strong odor of tobacco combined with the damage that it causes, leads to very bad breath that will plague you until you choose to stop all tobacco use.
- Avoid odorous foods and beverages. Certain foods and beverages are simply stinkier than others. Coffee, wine, alcohol, onions, garlic, and cheeses are all notorious for causing bad breath. While occasional consumption of these stinky culprits will only give you occasional bad breath as a side effect, regular consumption of these will negatively impact how your breath smells. Avoiding odorous foods and beverages is the only way to guarantee that they will not affect your breath, but this is not always an ideal solution. Therefore, keep a toothbrush and mouthwash handy so that you can use them to help mask the smells left behind after eating.
- Stay hydrated. A dry mouth is a stinky mouth. Saliva is necessary for helping to wash away bacteria from the mouth. If the mouth is dry, bacteria begins to die inside the mouth and decay. Proper hydration keeps the mouth fresher.
- Visit your dentist often. Regular dental visits allow your teeth to be kept as healthy as possible. Often a professional cleaning can eliminate causes of bad breath.
Contact Huebner Smiles today to schedule an appointment. We are here for you.