Where will you go next after losing a tooth or two? Some may not bother that much in finding a dental practice that can solve their problem—most especially if tooth loss takes place at the back portion of the mouth. People usually find it okay to live with an incomplete set of teeth as long as their front teeth are not affected. But what if you lost two of your highly visible pearly whites? A denture is probably one of your options. Is the restorative device best for you? Let us at Huebner Smiles Dentistry and Orthodontics weigh down its pros and cons.
DENTURES: ITS PROS AND CONS
Let’s start with the advantages of the said teeth replacement:
- Smile and appearance restoration. Getting dentures means providing additional support for your jaw muscles. As jawbone tend to deteriorate over time, this occurrence doubles if the person lost one or some of their teeth. It can result in a sunken facial appearance. Dentures not only regain the lost pearly whites but the symmetry of the face as well.
- Natural look and feel. If your worry is about looking fake with dentures, fret no more. Modern dentistry provides a more aesthetically pleasing restorative appliance nowadays—with features similar to real teeth.
- Less dental appointments. The procedures involved in getting dentures are not time-consuming. It only takes a shorter period for the oral device to be wholly fabricated. For a complete set of dentures, patients will only need to wait for two to six weeks before they can wear their teeth replacement.
Now let’s unveil some of the cons of dentures:
- Dentures are only a temporary solution. One of the benefits of dentures, as mentioned above, is jawbone support. While this may be true, dentures cannot fulfill this function for an extended period since aging can still cause the jaw to weaken. Usually, we recommend dental implants for those who need a permanent solution to tooth loss.
- It may take time to adjust. Before feeling entirely comfortable with dentures, wearers may need to deal with the adjustment period first. Some can already chew or speak normally within a few weeks while others take at least one month before they can function like usual.
Here at Huebner Smiles Dentistry and Orthodontics, we encourage our dear patients to take an initial consultation first to see which teeth replacement suits best for them. Aside from dentures, our clinic offers various options under our Restorative Dentistry in San Antonio, TX.